Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hall Monitor




In 9th grade, I had a control-freak English teacher, Mrs. Gohla. She wouldn't even let anyone use the potty, unless you cried, like my friend Anna did. 85 min. classes are excruciatingly long when your bladder is stretching.

Other students referred to her as, "The Gohla-Monster." Like Gila monster, I guess. While I was a good student, I was definitely not an ass-kisser. However, I dealt with the Gohla regime by following the rules, or, not getting caught breaking them.

I graduated high school—in the top of my class—over six years ago. I also graduated pre-school without too many incidents and never maimed or killed a baby-sitter.

Today at work, a high end clothing department store, my floor manager said, and I quote,"I'm going home for the day. 45 more minutes of scanning, and then work on signing. And, no standing around or talking. I'm going to have someone come check to see you're working."

As well as after introducing friend or boyfriend to the manager she says, "I'm the manager." Just had to get that out there, didn't you?

Now. Most pof my co-workers and myself are actually OLDER than the manager, but even if we weren't, I really don't think that's anyway to talk to other adults.

Again, I survived babysitters, high school and, oh yeah, college. I think I can handle putting clothes away, giving myself breaks, and carrying on conversations. I wonder if she realizes how ridiculous she sounded? Probably not.

I've been postulating about what would bring someone to act in such a Nazi, "I'm watching you! Eyes and ears everywhere!" sort of mentality.

It's simple: she never got to be hall monitor. No. Really. The control-freakery in people like this starts early, the first chance of power was passed to someone else. In the control-freak's mind, someone inferior. She has an Iago complex. Seeing the rest of us as potential Cassios.

I understand that said person has had a rough personal life, and I surmise that she has lost all sense of control. But taking out anger from personal issues on employees is not only unethical, but also unhealthy. I'm not so much annoyed as I just feel bad for the girl.

Maybe I should bring her a special badge tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment